Every year thousands of students travel to the UK for our quality of education, high standard of living, competitive costs, and unbeatable social, sporting and cultural experiences. Before you begin your UK studies, there is a lot to think about and prepare. Rest assured, our friendly Office are always on hand to offer support. This section is also designed to give you information about things you may need to know about.


In preparation for your stay, we recommend you read the UK Council for International Student Affairs and the British Council page, which gives comprehensive information on:


  • Preparation and arrival
  • Cost of living
  • Traditions and culture
  • Accommodation
  • Opening a bank account
  • Health and healthcare
  • Travel and transport
  • Working while you are studying*
  • Internet, phone and post


*International students studying at School of Contemporary Music on a Tier 4 visa are not permitted working rights in the UK


Immigration healthcare surcharge


It is worth noting that if coming to the UK to study you may need to pay a healthcare surcharge, often referred to as the immigration healthcare surcharge or IHS. This can be paid online and will allow you to access the National Health Service during your studies.


  1. You will still need to pay some fees (prescriptions, dental fees and eye tests).

Costs for this service vary depending on how much leave you are granted. However, you can use this tool to determine how much you will need to pay.


Registering with the police


Some nationalities are required to register with the police as part of their Tier 4 visa requirements. Registration costs £34 and can be paid at the police station. Failure to do this may result in the UK Visas and Immigration office withdrawing your permission to stay. For more information and to check whether you are obliged to register with the Police once in the UK please visit here.



Meet our dedicated Student Support team who will guide you throughout your application and arrival.




Applying for a course outside the UK can be daunting. But our online form will guide you through the process, step-by-step, and our friendly staff are always available should you require further assistance.



Find out what the English language requirements are for international students at School of Contemporary Music.


To study at School of Contemporary Music, we require evidence of your ability to speak, listen, read and write in English. Students whose first language is not English will need a qualification that demonstrates competence in English.


For Non EU/EEA applicants we currently accept the following qualifications for admission into our courses at degree level:

SELT UKVI IELTS for UK Visa (minimum 5.5 in all components and an overall score of 6.0)

Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (module ISE II)

Tests for visa purposes can only be taken at approved centres and the centre must follow procedures specified by the UK government.


EU/EEA applicants

Equivalent qualifications can be accepted, where these qualifications have been verified by NARIC and are adopted widely within the HE sector in the UK.

IELTS (minimum 5.5 in all components and an overall score of 6.0)

Pearson Test of English (minimum 5.51 in all subscores)

Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) (minimum grade C)

Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) (minimum grade C)




Find out about how to apply for a UK study visa if you are a non-EEA student. To study at School of Contemporary Music, most international students will need to acquire a Tier 4 student visa from the UK government’s Home Office.


Visas to study at School of Contemporary Music

The correct study visa for students from outside the EEA is as follows:


  • Diploma in Music Performance: Tier 4 (General)
  • Certificate in Music Performance: Tier 4 (General)
  • School of Contemporary Music Short Courses: Student Visitor


Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Before you can apply for a Tier 4 student visa, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from us.


This will be provided once you have:


  • Been made an unconditional offer by School of Contemporary Music.
  • You have firmly accepted the offer.
  • You have provided us with the necessary supporting documents.
  • You have paid one full year of tuition fees.


When should I apply?

Depending on whether you are applying from the UK or abroad, will determine when you should apply. You can check visa processing times from UKVI.



What documents will I need?

You can download the guide to the main supporting documents from UKVI. You will also be advised through the admissions process what documents you will require for the Visa application.


More information

For more information on applying for a student visa visit the UKVI and UKCISA websites or download our comprehensive Tier 4 student visa guide.



To find out more about our courses, or about studying in the UK, fill out this simple form and our Support team will be in contact with you to answer all your questions.



School of Contemporary Music is a private education provider. There are various forms of funding available for students wishing to study at School of Contemporary Music;

Student Tuition Fee Loan

This is the government funded student tuition fee loan. Funding towards tuition fees is available to UK/EU students, but does not cover the whole course fee. Please note that other sources of funding may be available.



*If you are an international student and require a Tier 4 visa, you will need to pay the first year fees in full before a CAS is issued. Please read our Fee Policy for further information.



Some of our courses involve additional costs, which are not covered by our tuition fees. To ensure you budget accurately during your academic studies, please read the below list of extra costs, which you may incur.


  1. This is not an exhaustive list. Please refer to your programme guide for information on core textbooks and course material.


  • Equipment, textbooks and viewing material
  • Stationery and supplies
  • Printing and photocopying
  • Protective footwear and clothing
  • Professional body membership fees
  • Optional travel, accommodation and insurance expenses for field trips and industry placements
  • Optional graduation ceremony costs such as robe hire and guest tickets



Students studying on higher education courses may be eligible for various forms of funding including student loans and grants. School of Contemporary Music is a private institution; this means that student tuition fee loans may not cover the full tuition fee.



At the School of Contemporary Music, we welcome international students from all over the world and place great value on people from different cultures and backgrounds learning and sharing ideas in a supportive environment.