Can I get a Diploma or Certificate? ► 

Yes. School of Contemporary Music offers a wide variety of education courses, concentrating on gospel and contemporary music. Program options include: Diploma in Music Performance (Dip): A unique diploma in music performance program in gospel music, or Certificate in Music Performance (Cert): preparing you for the challenges of professional and creative contemporary performing careers.


Is School of Contemporary Music accredited? ► 

Yes. School of Contemporary Music is an accredited by ….


What are the requirements to get in? ► 

Criteria for admission vary according to the particular program. Information is available on our website or through our admissions office. Once you’ve made a decision, the first step towards applying to any program is to fill out an application form.


What full programs do you offer? ►

At School of Contemporary Music you can receive focused instruction leading to the following: Diploma in Music Performance & Certificate in Music Performance in your chosen subject area.


What short term programs do you offer? ►

The School of Contemporary Music provides non-certificate training in music as follows: Saturday weekend training program over a three month period, and short courses over a period of twelve weeks for vocals or instruments of choice.


What classes should I take in High School to prepare? ► 

While you are not required to take specific High School courses to be admitted to School of Contemporary Music, we strongly recommend that you take advantage of any music-related studies available to you. Relevant classes would include Music Appreciation, Music Theory, Ear Training, Music Reading, Music Industry Studies, Ensemble, Choir, Band, Chorus, Computer Skills and Keyboard Skills. Outside of school, private lessons (for performance students) are also very important.


Do I need a formal education in music to get in? ►

We require that potential students have some level of music competency. The admission requirements vary by level and subject area and are outlined in the course requirements section of the site.

The only programs that do not require any prior music education is Sound Engineering.


How much experience do I need on my instrument? ►

While skill, knowledge, and experience all play an important role in success, commitment and dedication are also key. We consider not only whether you are prepared to begin a program, but also whether you’re prepared to finish it. Most programs begin by teaching fundamentals but also move very quickly into more advanced areas.


A less-experienced musician with a high degree of discipline can complete a program with great success, whereas a musician with more experience who is not prepared to put in the necessary effort may end up struggling.

Before you apply, a member of our admissions team can give you an idea of whether your level of experience appears to be high enough for you to apply. After you submit your application, senior instructors will carefully review it and determine your ability, skill level, and overall qualifications for acceptance into the program. In some cases, they may recommend that you re-apply after further study, or that you consider entering a different program or at a different level. The audition requirement prior to commencing the course will also help assess the correct level of study.


How much does School of Contemporary Music tuition fees cost? ►

See the current course prospectus or Tuition and Fees section of the website for further information.


Do you offer financial aid? ►

School of Contemporary Music can direct you to potential sources of financial aid.  These have specific eligibility requirements and the amount you qualify to receive will vary according to your individual circumstances.


How do I apply for financial aid? ► 

The first step in applying for financial aid is to complete your application and be accepted. Applicants will then need to apply directly to the potential sources of aid.


Do you have scholarships? ► 



Are my credits transferable to other schools? ►

Every college sets its own requirements for accepting credits from other institutions. These requirements vary widely based on program content, institutional accreditation and other factors and are determined on a case-by-case basis by the receiving institution. School of Contemporary Music cannot guarantee in advance that any specific institution will accept your credits, but should you need to transfer, we are prepared to help you through the process.


Are my credits from another college transferable to your school? ► 

As with transferring to other institutions, the question of which or how many of your prior credits are transferable to a specific program at School of Contemporary Music must be handled on a case-by-case basis (see the current course brochure for more information on transfer of credits into School of Contemporary Music diploma or Certificate program). However, if you have successfully studied at another institution of higher education and seek to enter a similar program at School of Contemporary Music, you may qualify for advanced placement in certain areas; this will be determined based on your placement interview at the time of registration.


Where are you located? ► 

We are located in Dover. Dover is known as the entertainment and sea capital of the world.


Do you have Housing? ► 



How do I get from London to Dover? ► 

South West Trains offer fast train services from London to Dover.


Should I bring a car to Dover? ► 

Unless you already have a car and plan on driving it to Dover as your means of getting here, it’s not vital to have a car while you are at school. Contrary to popular myth, you can survive in Dover without a car. You can go almost anywhere you want to go either by train, bus or taxi. Having a car can be nice, but parking can be very expensive.


Are there training materials, such as books and videos, that you recommend I use on my own? ► 

There are many resources available to support personal efforts in skill development.